Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 18:04:06 +0200 (MDT)
From:      Matthias.Apitz@SOFTCON.de
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3c589D and pccard support in FreeBSD 2.2.5

Nate Williams wrote:

    > I'm trying to install PAO card support on my new notebook
    > which has an O2Micro 6832 CardBus bridge and a 3Com 3c589D
    > card attached. The FreeBSD is 2.2.5 from CD-ROM together
    > with the PAO-ready boot-diskette.

    FWIW, this hardware should be supported 'out of the box' with the LAPTOP
    kernel in FreeBSD 2.2.6.

BTW: does the FreeBSD 2.2.6. boot.flp contain the support
for the above hardware also?

    > The interface is configured and up but there is some
    > problem with it. IP packages on the network are not quickly
    > and/or reliable delivered to the TCP modules.

    This came up 2-3 days ago on this list, and the problem is that the IRQ
    assigned to your card is actually in use by some hardware on your box,
    but the FreeBSD kernel doesn't know about it.  (A built in IR
    port/sound-card, or something).

    You'll need to hard-code the IRQ used.

I disabled the COM[1-2] and LPT1 ports (which free the IRQ's 4, 3
and 7) and tried to reuse all of these IRQ's for the 3C589D card
in the /etc/pccardd.conf file. The IRQ 3 didn't work at all
(the driver complains about a wrong IRQ mask) and the IRQ's 4
and 7 were attached via pccardd(8) to the card but with
slow network performance (ping delays of ~1.600 ms).

I checked the same BIOS setup with the Linux boot diskette
and the Linux cardservice uses IRQ 3 for the 3C589D and
after running ifconfig(8) for the interface all was fine.
I don't want to compare Linux vs. FreeBSD and the only
reason for saying that is: I can't imagine that there
is a problem with the hardware or IRQ values. Should I
dig into the kernel driver if_ep.c for that problem?

	matthias

--
firm: matthias.apitz@sisis.de [voc:+49-89-61308-351, fax: +49-89-61308-188]
priv: guru@thias.muc.de

from USENET:
People who run servers understand that flashy interactive interfaces have
nothing to do with the underlying functionality and often get in the way.