Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:40:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      lynn@elan.com (Lynn Gazis)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        lynn@elan.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and BSDI binary compatibility

> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Lynn Gazis wrote:
>
> > Will binaries compiled on FreeBSD also run on BSDI?
>
> Probably not. FreeBSD's binary format is pretty unique.  Depends on what
> you're doing though.

A server/client application using TCP/IP.  Otherwise, standard C system
calls.  Is there, by any chance, any option I can compile with, or library
I can link with, so that this *will* be binary compatible to run on BSDI?
I've just spent a week getting FreeBSD installed and the application
ported there, and been told that the customer really wants BSDI.  I don't
want to think about ordering BSDI, clobbering my OS and reinstalling
that one (hoping that it doesn't take a dislike to any of my peripherals),
and then doing the port again on BSDI.

--
Lynn Gazis
Technical Support