Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 22:16:30 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        kerri@vfi.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP Marketing Statistics

Hello Kerri,

I am involved in the FreeBSD advocacy group of volunteers.  I am willing to
work with you to get the information you require.

We are in the process of determing the FreeBSD usage statistics that you are
interested in.  Present estimates put the FreeBSD installed base somewhere
between 750,000 and 1,000,000,000 users.  The user base is by and large made up
of servers, supporting some of the most heavily trafficed ftp sites on the
Internet.

FreeBSD and Linux are both open source operating systems.  While we are not
necessarily direct competitors, there are some significant differences between
us that make FreeBSD a better server platform.  One major difference is that
FreeBSD is developed and released under a closed development model, vs the open
development and release model of Linux.  There are also licensing issues that
we feel make FreeBSD a friendlier environment from embeded system development.

If I may ask, what is your interest in FreeBSD?  This information will be
useful in providing more detail to answer your questions in more depth.

Please let me know how I can be of further service.  Our web page at
www.freebsd.org maybe of use to you.

Sincerely,

Frank Pawlak