Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 2021 10:19:18 +0200
From:      Kristof Provost <kp@freebsd.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: page fault in pfioctl

> On 13 Jun 2021, at 09:41, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BFOn 13/06/2021 10:26, Kristof Provost wrote:
>>> On 12 Jun 2021, at 19:59, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>>> Not sure if this has been reported, or maybe even fixed, yet.
>>> The crash happened with stable/13 as of 92f49c769b4 (June 3).
>>> Judging from the time I think that it happened when running a periodic r=
eport (likely 520.pfdenied).
>>> I have the vmcore, can take a look into it on Monday.
>>>=20
>>> Ah, and I must add that this is a custom kernel configuration with INVAR=
IANTS.
ed @ /usr/devel/git/trant/sys/netpfil/pf/pf_ioctl.c:2459
>>>=20
>> This panic doesn=E2=80=99t seem to ring any bells for me.
>> I=E2=80=99d be interested in seeing what kgdb can pull out of the vmcore.=

>> The line number for the lock would suggest it happened in DIOCGETRULENV, a=
nd the backtrace suggests it=E2=80=99s during the copyout.
>> I=E2=80=99m just not sure how that=E2=80=99d panic, because we copy out t=
he result of nvlist_pack() (and have checked that for NULL), using the size i=
t gave us.
>> Hopefully the vmcore will be more enlightening.
>> That is fairly new code though, so bugs are not impossible.
>=20
> Based on the panic message (page fault with non-sleepable locks held), it s=
eems that the problem is with holding the lock across the copyout.  Usually t=
hat won't panic, but if the destination happens to be paged out...
> And only with INVARIANTS, I guess...

Oh right. Thanks.=20
I=E2=80=99ve gotten bitten by that one before, but had clearly garbage colle=
cted the memory.=20

I=E2=80=99ll fix this one and check for others on Monday.=20

I=E2=80=99ll also see of we can persuade copyout to always panic on this bug=
, not just when the destination memory is actually paged out.=20
That way we=E2=80=99ll catch this in the regression tests in the future.=20

Best regards,
Kristof=