Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 17:38:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Gregory Lewis <glewis@dartagnan.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        sfisher@twrol.com (Stephen Fisher)
Cc:        kalmadg@banet.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bye-bye Windows

> > I don't  know what the general feeling  around here is, but I have read
> > many people's
> > letters outlining why FBSD beats Linux technically, etc.  And therefore it
> > will eventually
> > be the OS of choice, &c, &c, &c . . . .
> >
> > It might be true.  But Linux is winning the PR war (If there is one).
>
> The main difference I see is that Linux is for desktops.  FreeBSD is for
> servers/high performance workstations, etc.  Desktops are much more
> popular so Linux seems to be.

I'm interested in why you believe Linux is for desktops and FreeBSD isn't.
I don't know of many (any?) desktop applications that will run on Linux and
not FreeBSD.  I don't wish to be rude, but by making such a statement you
perpetuate a myth which is causing people to install Linux instead of
FreeBSD on their home machines when there is no need to.  Equally, to be
fair to the Linux camp, its wrong to say that Linux isn't for servers.
Both are well written, powerful, modern Unix-like operating systems --
which you use for any given application is pretty much a matter of taste.

> Just look at Microsoft.. they have all of the PR down and are sitting on
> top of everyone else with it.
>
> > I remember hearing and reading about the obvious advantages of BETAMAX.
> >
> > What kind of VCR do you own?
>
> Good point...
>   VHS..
> :\

This is a bad analogy as these are (were) proprietary, closed VCR standards.
FreeBSD and Linux are, on the other hand, open source operating systems.
As long as there are competent people who wish to use them they can be
advanced and maintained by those people.  Your analogy would be more
appropriate for OS/2 and Windows.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 3237