Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:34:28 -0500
From:      Adam Turoff <aturoff@isinet.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Zippy <seth@interport.net>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft (was: Netscape browser)

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thursday, 18 March 1999 at 15:56:12 -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> > Funny: Bill Gates recently mentioned FreeBSD by name in an interview, but
> > not Linux.
>
> Details?

If you search lwn.net 6-10 weeks ago, you'll find a better version
of this reference.

Basically, billg was interviewed by ix in Germany, back when they
were beating the 'sure we have competition -- look at Linux' drum.

Same context.  Except that billg said FreeBSD instead of Linux.

The microsoft-ologists came to the conclusion that this is an example
of microsoft's internal compliance department (or marketing, or PR,
or somesuch) at work.  The story goes that there is an internal gestapo
that fines anyone who talks to the press and mentions a term/competitor
by name if that term/competitor is on the internal blacklist.

The mention of FreeBSD was thought to mean that Linux made it onto
the blacklist, but billg had a prepared speech, so he s/Linux/FreeBSD/g;
to avoid paying the fine.

Of course, I read this on the web, so it *MUST* be true.

-- Adam