Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:14:34 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cross compilation goals.

On 1999-Nov-24 06:16:56 +1100, Terry Lambert wrote:
>> I've just read the rest of the thread, and need to amplify the non
>> goal and state it as follows:
>>
>> 	1) It will not necessarily be a goal of this effort to produce a
>> 	   FreeBSD source tree that can be compiled on a non-FreeBSD
>> 	   system.  You will not necessarily be able to build a FreeBSD
>> 	   system on a Solaris system, for example.
>

>I think it would have been very useful to the Alpha porting effort
>if it had been possbile to build FreeBSD on DEC UNIX.

I'm not sure that being able to FreeBSD/alpha on DEC UNIX would help
any more than being able to build FreeBSD/alpha on FreeBSD/i386.
(Though at the time, I gather neither worked correctly).

That said, my recent attempts to install FreeBSD on a Multia would
have be significantly simpler if I could have built netboot on
DEC UNIX.

> Consider the performance of FreeBSD Alpha when compiled
>with the much better DEC Compiler, for example.

Has anyone actually done any comparative benchmarks between the
two compilers?  I found that (contrary to my expectations) gcc 2.8.1
was better than the DU cc for md5(1) and related tools.

>> I'd like to add the following non-goal for the current effort:
>>
>> 	2) It will not necessarily be a goal of this effort to produce
>> 	   binaries for Non-FreeBSD systems on a FreeBSD system.
>
>I can agree with this one, although it is somewhat of a shame to
>lose this generalization.

Same here, though it would be nice to have more integrated support
for cross-development to embedded environments.

Peter