Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2013 22:32:11 -0500
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        Puppet Master <pmaster@mindslayer.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FoxPro on FreeBSD

I did some debugging, and watched how the process was getting launched, =
and I've managed to get it to load!

The problem was that COFF files expect to be mapped into memory at =
address 0, something that processes are no longer allowed to do.

Run "sysctl security.bsd.map_at_zero=3D1=94  or add =
=93security.bsd.map_at_zero=3D1=93 to /etc/sysctl.conf and you should =
have it working. We probably should either make an exception for COFF =
files to bypass this the sysctl restriction, or at least print a more =
helpful error than just letting the process segfault because it didn=92t =
get mapped where it was supposed to go.

=97 Kevin

On Oct 23, 2013, at 8:58 PM, Puppet Master <pmaster@mindslayer.net> =
wrote:

> Hello,
>=20
> A couple of years ago I posted a message on the forums, regarding =
getting FoxPro (for SCO Unix) working on FreeBSD. The direct link to the =
forum is here:
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=3D19764
>=20
> =46rom version 2.2.8 to 7.4 of FreeBSD this has worked flawlessly, but =
ceased to run with version 8.1.
>=20
> I would really love for this to continue working with future versions =
but have not found anyone that can help. A few days ago I received a =
private message on the forum requesting that I please post to hackers@ =
to see if anyone could help. The idea being that "Its unlikely the SCO =
binaries get tested very regularly."
>=20
> So here I am.  In case anyone wants to test the FoxPro for FreeBSD, =
you can download my Perl script that installs it from here: =
http://www.at-vantage.com/foxfiles/foxp_install.txt
>=20
> (rename the foxp_install.txt to foxp_install.pl).
> This checks for i386, FreeBSD version before installing so if you plan =
on testing it on 8.1 or above, you may need to modify the script and =
comment out the sections that check for that.
>=20
> I do hope that someone can help, it would be great if the SCO binary =
for FoxPro would function again.