Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 2020 08:41:28 +0200
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org>, Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Is there any performance difference between udev and evdev in xorg?

On 2020-09-16 06:01, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 10:55:31PM -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>> What if any is the performance difference between udev and evdev when
>> configuring xorg?  Also do I need to use one or the other consistently
>> or can I intermix them?
>
> If you don't need them (e.g. because this is desktop system without
> fancy input devices), you'd better off with disabling both of them
> altogether and use good old traditional way, that is, simply install
> xf86-input-{keyboard,mouse} and let X.org handle those peripherals.
>
> Yes, you would still be able to plug and unplug your USB mice and
> they will be detected and working as expected.
>
> TL;DR: DEVD/UDEV support is overrated and usually not needed at all.

This is bad advice.
Please use udev/evdev (it's basically the same thing).  The DEVD support
in xorg-server might go away, since it is a FreeBSD only solution and
the udev/evdev is similar to what is used on Linux.  If you are using
Wayland, it is also the only way to use input devices.

If you are using the default configuration of xorg on FreeBSD 12.1 or
later, using udev is the default.  This means using xf86-input-libinput
as the input device driver in X, and not xf86-input-{keyboard,mouse}.
This gives much better support for things like synaptics touchpads and
similar devices.  You can configure such devices either by adding X
configuration snippets to /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ or by using
xinput on the command line (when running X).  If you are using a desktop
environment, such as KDE, it is usually possible to configure devices in
the GUI as well.

Regards
--
Niclas Zeising