Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:16:47 +0200
From:      "Zaidi, Abbas" <Abbas_Zaidi@mentor.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Ansari, Fakhir" <Fakhir_Ansari@mentor.com>, "Khan, Fayyaz" <Fayyaz_Khan@mentor.com>
Subject:   FreeBSD ipsec tunnel mode packet lost

------_=_NextPart_001_01CA41BF.81173469

Hi

I am having this strange problem establishing tunnel between FreeBSD and
linux, my network setup is

=20

Link2:216:76ff:febd:618c ---------|Link2::e -o-
Link1::e|--------------------|Link1::f -o-
Link0::e|---------------Link0:212:17ff:fe5c:9466

FreeBSDe------------------------------|FreeBSDr|------------------------
----------|Linuxr|-----------------------------------Linuxe

=20

Where I want to establish a tunnel between FreeBSDr and Linuxe (that
would be Link1::e <=3D=3D> Link0:212:17ff:fe5c:9466). Im using raccoon2 =
negotiate SAs dynamically.=20

Once the SAs get negotiated I send a ping request from FreeBSDe to
Linuxe. The packets get an ipsec header applied at FreeBSDr reaches
Linuxe a reply to packet comes back at Link1::e interface of FreeBSDr
and then packet gets lost.

=20

I am not using gif. Do I need it?

I don't think any thing is wrong with ipsec as the seq of both in and
out sa are incrementing on every echo request reply.

I am new to FreeBSD and not sure about firewall, but I think its not
running.

There is one strange thing about security policies as of linux in case
of tunnel there are 3 policies added (in, out, fwd) where as in FreeBSD
it only shows 2 (in, out).

Ping without ipsec from FreeBSDe to Linuxe works perfectly fine, so I
assume routing tables are fine too.=20

=20

I have run out of options and do not understand what to do; any sort of
help will be highly appreciated.

=20

Thanks,

=20

Abbas Zaidi

Software Development Engineer

Embedded System Division

MentorGraphics Embedded
<http://www.mentor.com/products/embedded_software/>=20

Office (+9242) 6099215 Cell (+92333) 4261781

   =20

=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01CA41BF.81173469--