Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:29:33 -0500
From:      "Gregory, Scott, SSgt, SAF/AADXT" <gregorys@af.pentagon.mil>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   2 Questions - Mail error and Modem Speed

Q1: I am running 2.2.2-RELEASE on a P133.  This system is setup to be a
majordomo list server (using bulkmailer for sending) and has no other
function.  I have installed smap and smapd from the Firewall toolkit and
for the most part everything is working great.  I have recently noticed
that the server is not able to receive or send to certain hosts
consistently.  I did a quick check and the mail sitting in the queue is
trying to go to MS Exchange servers (two different builds) mostly.  I
have not check to see what is running at all the sites that it cannot
send to.  The server is also having difficulty accepting messages from a
few hosts (the one that send my mail, running Exchange).  Smap fails
with the following error (names have been changed to protect the
innocent!):

Feb 26 13:00:42 afirm smap[3821]: host=bad.mail.server/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
bytes=0 from=<gregorys@af.pentagon.mil> to=<req-list@majordomo.server>
Feb 26 13:00:42 afirm smap[3821]: SMTP QUIT with no message
bad.mail.server/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Can anyone tell me how to go about troubleshooting this problem?  Some
mail will get through, but others will not.

Q2:  I am running 2.2.5-RELEASE at home and am using it connect my home
network to the internet through a dialup with my provider (I am using
ppp -auto -alias).  Everything is working great!!!!!  I would, however,
like to know the speed at which the modem connected.  If there a utility
that will tell me the connection speed when the modem connects?

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Scott