Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 2021 02:00:29 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Peter Cornelius <pcc@gmx.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JMicron jms561 umass on arm64?

On 2021-Apr-8, at 00:46, Peter Cornelius <pcc at gmx.net> wrote:

> Thanks, Bob,
>=20
>> I'll do a little top-posting to sidestep the HTML mess below....
>> [...]
>> You'll likely get a wider readership of posts in plain text.
>=20
> Sorry about that. My main box just broke and is in repair and the =
bl**min' web GUI set HTML on *every single* message I send. I hope to =
have found a permanent knob now, though. The stupid Aw: in the subject =
line, and not reducing to a single Re: also is really embarrasing but =
there seems to be no knob for that... sigh! Not used to consumer UIs any =
more.
>=20
>> usb reset
>=20
> That cuts the branch I currently sit on (USB, HDMI). And does not show =
anything ... but an error (gone now, rpi4 continues to boot when I pull =
the keyboard off to type this). I'd love to boot (e. g. bootcmd_usb0) =
from the disks but to do that, I'd have to get them on-line first, I =
guess...
>=20
> I also noted earlier, that, in my current setup, upon the first boot =
after power-up, I have no means to interfere with the boot process at =
all until FreeBSD was up at least once. Subsequent 'warm' reboots do =
give me access to the boot prompts (u-boot, FreeBSD loaders).
>=20
> I also was hoping that, once BSD's taking over, USB would be reset, =
all devices found, etc. ... but looks like life's not that easy. I'll =
dig further into U-Boot now as the root cause seems to live there...
https://www.jmicron.com/file/download/1026/JMS561_Product+Brief.pdf
> [2] https://wiki.radxa.com/Dual_Quad_SATA_HAT
> [3] Note: Later builds so far have not booted despite of current =
u-boot (March 2021)
>    FreeBSD rpi4 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #1: Tue Feb 23 =
02:30:31 UTC 2021
>    root@rpi4:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC  arm64
>=20

2021-Feb-23 in [3] predates the good RPi firmware build by a
couple of days --and by the tagging of the good RPi firmware
by some more days (Mar 3rd?). (The FreeBSD
sysutils/rpi-firmware port tends to be bound to tagged
versions sometime after the tag is placed.) As I remember it
was 13.0-RC3 image that was the first 13.0-RC* to have the
good RPI firmware: prior builds were bound to older
sysutils/rpi-firmware versions that got older, badly-behaved
RPi firmware relative to USB use. The time frame for main
[14] snapshot images to start to have the good firmware
overlapped with debug builds that paniced for internal
FreeBSD problems. One should use later builds that have
the new firwmware and the fixes to FreeBSD.

The (first?) recent good RPi firmware version contains, for
example,

# strings start4.elf | grep VC_BUILD_ID_
VC_BUILD_ID_USER: dom
VC_BUILD_ID_TIME: 12:10:40
VC_BUILD_ID_VARIANT: start
VC_BUILD_ID_TIME: Feb 25 2021
VC_BUILD_ID_BRANCH: bcm2711_2
VC_BUILD_ID_HOSTNAME: buildbot
VC_BUILD_ID_PLATFORM: raspberrypi_linux
VC_BUILD_ID_VERSION: 564e5f9b852b23a330b1764bcf0b2d022a20afd0 (clean)

Prior to that build the the RPi firmware builds had
bad behavior for some time. (The otherstart*.elf have
the same day but varying build times.)

I expect that until you have the above RPi firmware build
in place on the firmware-boot-stage media, all other
efforts are going to be messed up by the older firmware.
(I've no clue if the RPi firmware is a sufficient fix by
itself for your context even with a modern FreeBSD
relateive to what was fixed, but the RPi firmware likely
is a necessary part of the overall fix.)

Note the lack of referencing u-boot in the above: so far
as I know u-boot was working fine over the time that
the RPi firmware was badly behaved, not that such was
obvious at the time. It just did not need to be changed
from what was officially built over the time frame.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went