Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:16:06 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        FreeBSD Question List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NIS server selection

I have NIS running on a few servers.  I have had them configured with
the -S option with only their host name so they would use the local
resolver.  However, after a few problems with ypserv dying I tried
adding additional servers to the -S list.  Everything was as normal
till I killed ypserv on the local machine.  Then it switched to the
first host listed after the local name in the -S list.  Access to NIS
records worked fine.

Then I tried to revert back to the local server.  Restarting ypserv had
no effect.  NIS requests were still sent to the other server.  I killed
ypbind and restarted it with the full list.  All requests were still
sent to the other server.  I killed ypbind again and restarted it with
just the local server in the -S list.  The request then were split
about half and half with the local server and other server.  How does
ypbind know about the other server anymore?

I had to kill ypserv on the other server, wait for some requests to
timeout (ypbind is a persistent bugger) and then it switched.  Surely
there has to be an easier way to do this.  I am trying to have ypbind
use the local server if its working and otherwise one of the other
servers.  If the local ypbind gets restarted i would like it to revert
back to using it.