Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 2015 14:14:50 -0500
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        Marcelo Araujo <araujo@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Measuring ZFS configuration differences

--Apple-Mail=_C035783A-6424-4400-80DA-134087C0DDE4

<mailto:dan@langille.org>> wrote:

> > Following up on the discussions during EuroBSDCon 2015 (Stockholm) =
during the FreeBSD Developer
> > Summit regarding various ZFS configuration settings, I write to =
start our implementation phase now that some
> > usual suspects have joined the list.
> >
> >  re https://wiki.freebsd.org/201510DevSummit/Performance =
<https://wiki.freebsd.org/201510DevSummit/Performance>;

> > I think the first order of business is granting access rights to the =
server (varm) in question:

> >  http://dan.langille.org/2015/07/19/varm/ =
<http://dan.langille.org/2015/07/19/varm/>;

> > During the workshop, mention was made of serial access.  I can =
arrange that.

> > The server has IPMI, however, my first thought:
> >
> > 1 - connect a USB-serial cable to varm & link that to another server =
in my rack.
>=20
> Marcelo: At EuroBSDCon, was it you who mentioned a particular =
configuration for the test machine which made
> it easy to configure and run tests?  Was it PXE booting or something?
>=20
> > 2 - create a jail in that server and give it access to that serial =
connection
> > 3 - redirect incoming port XYZ to that jail via a public-key-only =
ssh connection
> > 4 - give people access
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>=20
> =E2=80=94
> Dan Langille
> http://langille.org/ <http://langille.org/>;
>=20
>=20
> Hello Dan,
>=20
> Yes, was me :)
>=20
> I mention about zopkio test framework.
> I gave a presentation last weekend at PyCon Hong Kong about it.
>=20
> Here is my slides: =
http://www.slideshare.net/araujobsd/functional-and-scale-performance-tests=
-using-zopkio =
<http://www.slideshare.net/araujobsd/functional-and-scale-performance-test=
s-using-zopkio>
>=20
> The good of Zopkio is, we can write tests at once and run it as much =
as we want in different machines. Also Zopkio depends of Naarad, that =
can parse a CSV file and create metrics and SLA over those metrics, plot =
graphs and so on. Pretty nice tool!!!
>=20
> I'm wondering if we could start to test something and maybe show it at =
AsiaBSDCon and BSDCon(Canada) next year? What do you think?
> What I need right now would be a list of tests that we want to perform =
as well as what parameters we would like to take as metrics to compare.\

For tests, we can start with this list: =
https://github.com/dlangille/zfs_benchmarks/issues =
<https://github.com/dlangille/zfs_benchmarks/issues>;

We can start as soon as I figure out how to provide access to the =
testers.  See above re serial connection.

I want to provide access, but I want to keep access restricted to only
 this box and not to the rest of my home LAN.  I plan to do this via a =
VLAN.

I could fire up a Rasperberry Pi and allow ssh into that.  Will that be =
enough
power for what you need to do?

=E2=80=94
Dan Langille