Date:      Mon, 14 Nov 2016 18:39:52 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Krzysztof Kowalski <krisik28@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, peter garshtja <peter.garshtja@ambient-md.com>
Subject:   Re: Rapsberry pi B & VirtualBox crosscompile

https://github.com/PetruGarstea/FreePI/wiki/Building-FreePI-packages
>=20
> However freebsd 11 unofficial supports arm pkg repository.
>=20
> Regards,
> Peter
>=20
> On Nov 14, 2016 19:25, "Krzysztof Kowalski" <krisik28 at gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
>> Hello there,
>> In few days I will get my 'brand new' RPi B. I would like to have on =
it
>> FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE and build ports on it. But as we know, it has =
low
>> processor power so best way to bulid packages is to use distcc.
>> My question is;
>> Will it works, if I'll use FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE x84_64, started in
>> VirtualBox with few CPU, to distcc with RPi? I mention that RPi & VB =
will
>> be connected by crossover ethernet (no switch and only WiFi router at =
the
>> house where I'll configure RPi).
>> Thanks in advance, best regards,
>> Krzysztof

One gotcha to using the pkg repository for those that buildworld =
themselves with
options like -mcpu=3D (such as -mcpu=3Dcorex-a7 for an RPI2B <=3D V1.1) =
is that the
software support for instructions that are missing in armv6 but present =
on the
specific processor/architecture are not always put in place by =
buildworld.

This leads to some pure armv6 software (such as from the pkg repository) =
failing
for lack of routines in the more specialized buildworld context: =
Undefined symbols
that a just-armv6 buildworld would define.

If the policy were for buildworld to build the routines despite =
instructions being
available for the -mcpu=3D or other more specific context specified for =
buildworld
then more pkg's from the repository might work for the more targeted =
buildworld's.

As I remember pkg itself can have this issue for -mcpu=3D and the like. =
But in that
case pkg-static should work fine because it does not depend on the =
buildworld
libraries for such routines: they are already built in.

Overall this is somewhat related to the likes of lang/gcc6 based =
compiles targeting
just armv6 needing -rpath use to avoid failing for things that are =
"internal
support" (even for arithmetic), like:

/usr/local/lib/gcc6/libstdc++.so.6: Undefined symbol "__aeabi_uldivmod"

where /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 does not implement the routine (depending on =
how buildworld
was done?) but /usr/local/lib/gcc6/libgcc_s.so.1 does implement.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net