Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:12:02 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RS / RSPRO FreeBSD

On 20 January 2011 13:24, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Feasibly using this method and your recent bsdbox MFS kernel sounds most
> logical size/space wise
> as Im looking to do this without a usb stick/flash. simply small wireless
> ap/pf =A0is all. I also looked at the
> nanobsd stuff ... I considered an MFS kernel / bsdbox / integrated and
> nanobsdized, also i looked at
> the bsd router project which is a nano based stripped image + including 2
> packages. So it appears this
> is probably the way ill=A0go. During the process Ill document and post sc=
ripts
> once i get a viable running
> system. Sounds like=A0it would also be secure as once its rebooted being =
mfs
> all mods/changes go away
> and the configuration once set is static so mfs would be ok.

Gah, here, just use this.

http://people.freebsd.org/~adrian/rspro/mfs-build.tar.gz

There's two scripts to build an MFS root for my tplink AP. One builds
a normal one, one builds one using bsdbox (and creates symlinks.)

The important magic is:

* the fudging to find the start/end offsets in the kernel for the MFS root;
* using makefs with the -right- options (which took me a while!) to
create an FFS which a MIPS big-endian kernel will understand;
* shuffling all the right bits into the right place.

Good luck!

Adrian