Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2019 07:58:12 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Nick Wolff <darkfiberiru@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Clay Daniels Jr." <clay.daniels.jr@gmail.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>, lausts@acm.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot still broken from r349133-r349160 - Was re:(Problem with USB after r349133)

I=E2=80=99m 99% sure that the boot breakage is due to this commit:

Author: jkim
Date: Tue Jul  9 18:02:36 2019
New Revision: 349863

Log:
 MFV:	r349861

 Import ACPICA 20190703.

I have two systems now that are affected, and both of them
are =E2=80=9Cfixed=E2=80=9D by reverting this.  I don=E2=80=99t know the =
root cause yet,
see my email to the svn-src-all mailing list.

Scott

> On Jul 29, 2019, at 8:29 PM, Nick Wolff <darkfiberiru@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Sorry boot is broken from harddrive or iso(as cdrom) for some users(at
> least 3) since somewhere in the revisions listed above and that still
> stands as of the Head snapshot of 072519. Sorry for lack of clarity. =
There
<clay.daniels.jr@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>=20
>> Rodney, you are right that the .iso "should work", and a lot of other
>> projects, from Microsoft Windows 10 to Trident BSD only a furnish an =
iso,
>> and no img file. FreeBSD is one of the few that give you both =
choices. The
>> problem goes deeper than any one operating system. If you've ever =
used the
>> Rufus tool to make a bootable usb, which is all Rufus does, you may =
have
>> come across problems with "mount root". I found this article, =
answered by a
>> Rufus developer very enlightening.
>>=20
>> =
https://superuser.com/questions/1170832/why-are-there-different-options-fo=
r-creating-bootable-usb-compared-to-a-cd
<https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/13.0/Fr=