Date:      Thu, 30 Jun 2016 09:04:41 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mika=EBl_Urankar?= <mikael.urankar@gmail.com>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Poudriere failing on some 10-STABLE ports --- "uses VFP register arguments"

<mikael.urankar@gmail.com
>>> wrote:
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Hi,
>>> See https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2016-May/013952
>>> .html
>>=20
>>=20
>> I had seen that thread but the fixes suggested (update the jail;
>> update QEMU) do not appear to work for my problem.
>>=20
>> I have:
>>=20
>> Poudriere host: FreeBSD/amd64 11.0-ALPHA4 r302140
>> Poudriere jail: 10.3-STABLE r302137 arm.armv6
>> QEMU package:   qemu-user-static-2.6.50.g20160621
>>=20
>>=20
>> Note, I have no problems building FreeBSD/arm 11-CURRENT packages on
>> this Poudriere host, only 10-STABLE packages.
>>=20
>> Cheers,
>=20
> When you update the nxb-bin native crosstools (-x command in poudriere
> jail create) in the 10-stable jail, they are actually being built from
> /usr/src on your host, not the sources in the jail.  This means you're
> getting hardfloat-abi tools from the 11-alpha host, not the softfp-abi
> tools from the 10-stable jail sources.
>=20
> I don't know of any way to fix it other than to create a 10-stable
> amd64 jail to host the 10-stable poudriere crossbuilds, so that the -x
> option in poudriere picks up the 10-stable copy of /usr/src from the
> jail it's running in.
>=20
> This doesn't sound like something that would be hard to fix, but I've
> never looked into it to see why it's hardwired to /usr/src on the host
> (in fact, I'm just taking someone's word for that, I've never looked
> into it at all).  It might just get neglected because it has never
> really made much difference before, but now all of a sudden it does.
>=20
> -- Ian

Thank you for the explanation.  As for building the FreeBSD/arm =
Poudriere jail on a 10-STABLE system, unfortunately that no longer =
appears to work for me.  It fails when building the native-xtools.

I think this package building issue is probably a gentle hint that I =
should also upgrade my 10-STABLE armv6 systems (Raspberry Pi) to =
11-CURRENT, like my BeagleBone Black.  It's probably better in the long =
run than trying to figure out how to build 10-STABLE packages, as =
11-CURRENT appears to be where all the focus and TLC is in the =
FreeBSD/arm world nowadays.  Plus, I'd only have to maintain one local =
FreeBSD/arm package repository... :-)

Cheers,

Paul.