Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:59:57 +0000
From:      Andrew Hotlab <andrew.hotlab@hotmail.com>
To:        Barkley Vowk <bvowk@math.ualberta.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Areca ARC-1120 on FreeBSD 7.0

My card has no battery backup=2C but I disconnected the machine power cord =
and pulled
the card off itsPCI-X slot.

After few minutes I reconnected the card and I booted the machine without a=
ny
hard drive. Then the same issue arised with the 7.0-RELEASE.

> Date: Mon=2C 11 Aug 2008 17:09:04 -0600
> From: bvowk@math.ualberta.ca
> To: andrew.hotlab@hotmail.com
> Subject: Re: Areca ARC-1120 on FreeBSD 7.0
>=20
> Pull the battery from the unit and reset the configuration. Reconnect the=
=20
> battery when the system boots FreeBSD properly.
>=20
> Barkley C. Vowk -- Systems Analyst -- University of Alberta
> Math Sciences Department - Barkley.Vowk@math.ualberta.ca
> Office: CAB642A=2C 780-492-4064
>=20
> Opinions expressed are the responsibility of the author and
> may not reflect the opinions of others or reality.
>=20
> On Mon=2C 11 Aug 2008=2C Andrew Hotlab wrote:
>=20
>>
>> Hi to all. I've finally convinced my IT manager to replace a MSFT Window=
s Server Virtual Server host with
>> a FreeBSD 7 jail host. Obviously=2C before proposing this change I check=
ed that our hardware was supported
>> by the FreeBSD platform=2C but as soon as I boot the FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE=
/amd64 CD-ROM the systems
>> hangs!
>>
>> I also tried the i386 version of the same release experiencing the same =
trouble. By using a 6.3-RELEASE
>> CD-ROM all works well (excluding some warnings still showing during the =
boot). I compared the source files
>> of the driver arcmsr(4) without finding any real difference: both of the=
m are at the 1.20.00.15 revision=2C but
>> I'm not a very experienced FreeBSD sysadmin (yet!)=2C and I need at leas=
t your opinions about this trouble!

>> I think the most complete set of informations I can give you are the ver=
bose boot logs of both the 6.3 and
>> 7.0 releases (sorry for the log post)=2C but I'm ready to submit whateve=
r data you want... please help me to
>> put Windows out of my datacenter! :)

Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger=A0
http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=3Den-us&sourc=
e=3Dwlmailtagline=