Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:42:31 +0000
From:      Andrew Hotlab <andrew.hotlab@hotmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Jail <freebsd-jail@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to better update a jail host system

Hi to all.
=20
That's my first post to this list, and I want to tanks all the guys who spe=
nd their time helping the FreeBSD Community to obtain the most from this wo=
nderful OS, and I'll be glad to grow my experience as fast as possible to b=
e able to donate my modest contribute too.
=20
Coming from a MSFT professional experience, I've been particularly impresse=
d by the FreeBSD jail system, and I'm using the ezjail framework to manage =
some jails on a FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE host in a pre-production environment.
To track the security branch both on the host and the jails I'm using the "=
update from source" method: I synchronize the source tree with csup(1), bui=
ld and install the kernel, build and install the userland for the host firs=
t and then for the jails (using the ezjail-admin(1) "update -i" switch).
=20
All that is working fine now, but I wonder if I could speed up the whole pr=
ocess, by switching to the binary update method. By using the freebsd-updat=
e(8) utility on the host I think to maintain the system cleaner (this utili=
ty only updates the installed distributions) and to reduce the administrati=
ve effort (no mergemaster(8) required, I'm right?).
=20
Do you think my thinking is right, or there are some aspects I'm missing? (=
As I said, I'm not a very experienced FreeBSD sysadmin) :)
=20
TIA
=20
Andrew