Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 2015 08:58:36 +0000
From:      Dangling Pointer <danglingpointer@outlook.com>
To:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Unzip utility choice decision

If my race-condition usecase is hard to reproduce (since it requires you to=
 spawn unzip as a child process in multiple threads simultaneously)=2C see =
http://www.unix.com/man-page/freebsd/1/unzip/ vs. http://www.unix.com/man-p=
age/linux/1/unzip/ for the "at-the-glance HUGE difference". Mind you=2C min=
e is not the only usecase which requires install overhead of "unzip from po=
rts".=20
> The answer is of course for the more permissive license.
Is it? This is exactly what I have asked in first post: What is the point o=
f having another unzip utility with lesser implementation and options=2C wh=
en we already have one. Is it because of license differences? Yes/No (prefe=
rably in a non-sarcastic manner..)
I am not sure about the answer=2C that is why I am asking.
If the license is "not" the issue (since other Unices are using the ORIGINA=
L unzip utility OOTB)=2C then FreeBSD team should consider adapting to the =
same for cent percent conformity. Otherwise this question will get its due =
answer and I would vouch for having it renamed to something like unzip2=2C =
so consumers know unzip2 (which comes pre-installed) and unzip (which can b=
e installed by issuing `pkg install unzip`) are two different utilities=2C =
with different authors=2C different licenses and different set of options.

> Date: Wed=2C 23 Dec 2015 09:23:47 +0100
> Subject: Unzip utility choice decision
> From: woodsb02@gmail.com
> To: danglingpointer@outlook.com
> CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>=20
> On Wednesday=2C 23 December 2015=2C Dangling Pointer <
> danglingpointer@outlook.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D=2C'cvml'=2C'danglingpointer@outlook.com')=3B>> wrot=
e:
>=20
> > Those options are not contradictory with `pkg install unzip` version. T=
hat
> > -uoq combination is an advance usage which save us from a race conditio=
n.

>=20
> Can you please explain this race condition further=2C and how the -uoq fl=
ags
> combined help prevent it when running simultaneous unzip commands?
>=20
>=20
> >
> > What I am really saying is:
> >
> > There is a universally known unzip utility which offers many options an=
> > then there is FreeBSD version of unzip with less options. That makes no
> > sense to me. Why would you want to have a separate unzip utility?
> >
>=20
> This is for the same reason that there is a "universally recognized"
> document editor called Microsoft Word. Why would you have a separate Open
> Office application? The answer is of course for the more permissive licen=
se.
>=20
> Regards=2C
> Ben