Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2017 09:38:36 +0000
From:      Carmel NY <carmel_ny@outlook.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Status of portupgrade and portmaster?

On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 09:00:02 +0000, Thomas Mueller stated:

>Excerpt from Jan Beich:
>
>> Why did portupgrade skip rebuilding print/harfbuzz-icu before building
>> editors/libreoffice? The dependency trees of most desktop applications
>> are so complex that the build falls apart if the upgrade tools aren't
>> robust enough e.g., ignore MOVED or PORTREVISION bumps. =20
>        =20
>> In short, this is a reminder portmaster/portupgrade are NOT supported.
>> Users are on their own debugging such issues. =20
>
>What is the current status of portupgrade and portmaster?
>
>I haven't used portupgrade in some time, but what about portmaster?
>
>What is one officially supposed to use to build and upgrade packages from
>source?
>
>Synth, poudriere, any others?
>
>Tom

Years ago, I was a strong supporter of "portmanager". It just worked when
others failed. They when its support wained, I started using "portupgrade".=
tried "portmaster", but it just failed way to often for my tastes.
However, after updating to FreeBSD-11, I have used "synth" exclusively. It =
is
fast, through and hasn't failed me yet. It took me a while to understand al=
of its nuances, like how to use a "make.conf" file with it; however, it was
worth it. I would highly recommend it.

--=20
Carmel