Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 09:24:53 -0400
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        steve.shoecraft@microchip.com, julian@whistle.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Oracle 7 on FreeBSD

> ----------
> From: 	Julian Elischer[SMTP:julian@whistle.com]
>
> We have an NC-server here to evaluate. (from NC corp..) (aka oracle)
>
> It's a FreeBSD box and it has a fully native FreeBSD oracle on it..
>
> My sugestion:
>
> ask NC corp to sell you a NC server
> get the oracle pre-installed :-)

Great! Are they going to sell it separately from NCOS ? Would
it be legal to buy a license for SCO and then obtain
somewhere the product for FreeBSD (yes, may be buy one NC server)
and run it instead ?

> If I knew anything about Oracle I'd have tar'd it up and tried
> running it on a newer FreeBSD by now..

Everything related to Oracle should be located in $ORACLE_BASE
directory (commonly something like /opt/oracle or /usr/oracle).
This directory is sometimes $HOME for Oracle superuser, named
commonly like "oracle" or "oracle7". If it is not, that directory
is worth copying too.
The server itself should be located in $ORACLE_HOME directory (according
to their Oracle Common Architecture, it must be something like
$ORACLE_BASE/product/7.3.3). There is one file in /etc,
/etc/oratab and sometimes the network control files are also
put in /etc, so if you see any /etc/*.ora, copy them too.
Also there must be some startup/shutdown rc-scripts but they
are not very important. After you copy everything, login as
Oracle superuser and run "dbstart". This must start the database.
"lsnrctl start" must start the network listener. But you will
probably need to change the network configuration files before
you get the network support running.

If you need more directions, ask me how :-)

> Steve Shoecraft wrote:
> >      Let me ask the question I have in another way:
> >
> >         o Is it possible to convert the SCO object files (ELF?) to
> what
> >      FreeBSD uses natively (COFF?)?
> >
> >         o If I can't convert the object files, can I link the object
> files
> >      together to make a binary?

I already had this idea. I can tell you a saga about it :-)
I wrote COFF (Oracle 7.1.6 for SCO was using
COFF format) to BSD a.out converter and started implementation of
SCO-compatible libraries. I took FreeBSD 2.0.5 libraries as base
(because they are smaller and simpler than later) and started
comparing man pages from SCO and FreeBSD. I have compared all the
man pages and have converted about 1/3 of differences (the converted
part included base packages like stdio and locale), when my
experiments with SCSI I did at the same time led to a big disk crash.
The COFF->BSD converter was lost during it but the library sources
have survived. It took lots of time to restore from this crash
and many things have occurred since that but this work is still
in the state when it was before crash. If somebody wants to
continue it, I'm ready to provide the part I did and SCO man pages,
grouped by compatibility. You will probably also need SCO
to generate the test examples. I don't know whether SCO is still
distributing their Open Desktop for nominal charge for personal
use. That is the sad end of this saga :-(

-Serge Babkin
working as Oracle DBA now