Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 12:35:41 -0400
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        danj@3skel.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, dnelson@emsphone.com
Subject:   RE: Load avg 0.33 and 99.2% idle...

> ----------

It sounds weird to me. The program doing select() sleeps like
any others and do not reside in the run queue. But, on the
other hand, the load computations are based on sampling on
timer interrupts, so if some program is activated on time
intervals, like select() with timeout, the timer interrupt
will encounter longer run queue because itself had woken up
these processes and placed them into the run queue right
before computing the load. I think this explanation is
closer to reality.

That raises an interesting issue: should the
load computation use the average of run queue length before
and after waking up the time-awaiting processes ?

-Serge