Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2014 11:32:03 +0100
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ServeRAID M5210e passthroughand syspd corruption

On Feb 28, 2014, at 11:17 AM, Steven Hartland wrote:

> mfi is a raid card it doesn't really have a true passthrough mfisyspd =
is
> the best you'll get. I'd recommend you switch to an HBA card which =
uses
> mps driver instead.

I know, unfortunately this brain dead (unless proven otherwise) IBM =
machine doesn't seem to allow me to use a proper HBA.

That said, since I asked for assistance in 2007 and Scott Long explained =
how to turn an aac card into a passthrough device
I have machines running like a charm. I am sure I can trust ZFS to =
detect any problems due to that setup.

> When you said you're seeing mfisyspd corruption what specifically are
> you seeing?

I described some of the problems several days ago, in short, either =
using ZFS or UFS on one of those "mfisyspd" devices or a "da" created by =
allowing
passthrough to work and running a benchmark, I get data corruption. No =
data corruption happens if I create a "raid 0" device on one disk.=20
I've tried with Samsung and OCZ SSDs and, just wondering if it might be =
a SSD specific problem of some sort, a Seagate disk. No luck.

With so many manufacturers (even Sun!) tending including these =
controllers on their motherboards, and even refusing to sell alternative =
options (who wants a "software RAID" when you can get "a hardware one", =
they say) I think that it would be good to make sure that passthrough =
mode is supported in the best possible way.

Maybe we could lobby the LSI Overlords, the manufacturers, both, or just =
try to make the best possible use of the most commonly found hardware.

Borja.