Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2019 15:42:52 -0800
From:      "Jayachandran C." <jchandra@freebsd.org>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ThunderX2 support in FreeBSD/arm64

Hi Ed,

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 12:23 PM Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 15:52, Jayachandran C. <jchandra@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > There seems to be 2 issues here - both of them happen when the AMI
> > firmware is used.
> > The first issue is that the efi framebuffer does not work, and I am
> > not able to select the serial console with AMI firmware. The second
> > issue is that the on-chip SATA controller is not setup correctly by
> > the AMI firmware and can cause a 'NBU BAR error' failure.
> >
> > I have uploaded a test firmware and instructions to
> > https://people.freebsd.org/~jchandra/testfw/ which should boot FreeBSD
> > fine. This is an internal build which does not have both the problems
> > above. Let me know if this works, and I will try to push the fixes to
> > AMI.
>
> Thanks, with the test firmware I'm able to make progress and the
> kernel boots fine. It's now hanging while trying to mount root over
> NFS; final console output is:
>
> Trying to mount root from nfs:10.0.0.1:/tank/export-root/arm64/ [rw]...
> taskqgroup_attach_cpu_deferred: setaffinity failed: 3

I have not tried this configuration (rootfs over NFS) yet, will give
it a try soon. Also please note that the default qlogic NIC on Sabre
may not work with FreeBSD.

I had setup the FreeBSD partition on my system by creating a freebsd
disk image in kvm/qemu and then copying the image to a partition -
this works well.

JC.