Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2017 09:33:06 +0100
From:      Vincenzo Maffione <v.maffione@gmail.com>
To:        Xiaoye Sun <Xiaoye.Sun@rice.edu>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>, "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>,  Victor Detoni <victordetoni@gmail.com>, Pavel Odintsov <pavel.odintsov@gmail.com>,  Giuseppe Lettieri <g.lettieri@iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   Re: swaping ring slots between NIC ring and Host ring does not always success
References:  <CAJnByzj6Dj3vouZ2NbxqvCV-2-7TVtTR4FaWKuCFaaRN2X%2ByAA@mail.gmail.com> <CALgsdbd3XuE3wMYp4ey%2B1aer%2BHSVNojLYoVqwqTBPAXXdf9i%2BQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAJnByzirLXdCe-kwHV2s_E6ytGJG0Dth=0Ms12RrEk7FK_%2B8Og@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BhQ2%2BgMWY0eabjHGw0=PJCAkS-wO=RBrN5brSbaqWc3_AOYoQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAJnByziBS8o6LtmpUrUu5xtRUd008Z2hnCsp=WVFv35r2J0rHw@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BhQ2%2Bim9nFfYnqDS2HgRbAzdf5D0iaLCmCYhfXQVVRMouUFuw@mail.gmail.com> <CAJnByzht-qfDcm8oEg1aSRyVBZ1ygPvc2eMuoyJcq4geueTZ0Q@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BhQ2%2BiERgWJ=cdFB-cByfT3r11T1kKr-5HiuCYZY-rxbjf=XA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJnByziDzdR2C6DcSRNPtrWACLq0XFpe4X1Ek9yXtFP9ivqWQw@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BhQ2%2BhjnuGo1xKgc8CQ7gP35tiaZG7%2BroZBmX8aBgb8qWnLgg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJnByzh-VrRZeYdpkRFtCUGEN_arFBkemcN7byb51XV6UPswyg@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BhQ2%2BiMw3kxjpcZy77vgOEsfk2UY0-farh9C8RKXZHMU7D8kw@mail.gmail.com> <CAJnByzgsuNBhdfPJsGrrHcU79xjK%2Bdq2RENgUkbZcehFm8MUxg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJnByzgNZ9YsYd7tBgYxiQPvuS_VZbhZNGvsPS-0apCDga7XFA@mail.gmail.com> <CANpwN=uHk-VwOoFz7NaPE9A-0B=MAapqxJ-uyCBtn=oMdacYnw@mail.gmail.com> <CAJnByzgjEEAzmWZu7BsSWHXmpjUtZcqXFGN8umCqmvgME1Jv%2BA@mail.gmail.com> <CANpwN=tfqitQW0BTXA7bU%2BTfmP8=wr7gE8wAP=hjAamjD7ny9Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAJnByzi5WHHvwcrmEOkJOHf5SJekbTtQoUgLmPbMtwTotc8mzA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJnByzhJnrmiwiLEEQV0meg7%2BDnLJ6Jq_J=6L=35Z9Lgw1GcyA@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BhQ2%2BjTXyYdN4N4aWOkDdkBr%2BD3quocHn%2Bc8MA%2Bxc9yLs9V4w@mail.gmail.com> <CAJnByzg0PCXCyjnypS_2%2BRhKB0mf_4s8X1niFiyfedaCLUku7Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAJnByzipicNHhmw0kGq0cXnfgXqq1xP0aJ4dqr12SryBV1Ny3w@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2B_eA9h3NL6Ga4=HRjEiDtNaANkR8m7oZ9%2BCCpoWVB%2BaYW3%2Btw@mail.gmail.com> <CAJnByziVfVJ6gX_aL%2BwFvmW9ZsfwPV1RRCkxgEbZMoe1kSo35A@mail.gmail.com>

Hi,

  If you think it's a bug can you please open an issue on the github (
https://github.com/luigirizzo/netmap/issues)?

> Hi Vincenzo,
>
> Let me clarify my problem. (please ignore the previous incompleted email)
>
> I have a program, which is an extension of bridge.c
> https://github.com/luigirizzo/netmap/blob/master/apps/bridge/bridge.c
> The only difference is that my program also generates customized packets
> sent to the NIC directly.
> These customized packets have increasing sequence numbers.
> So, this program not only sends these customized packets but also forwards
> packets between NIC and host stack using zerocopy.
> The program only takes one NIC queue and there is only one thread.
>
> I think the problem is that there is a chance where netmap does not update
> the pointer to the buffer even when NS_BUF_CHANGED is set (buf_idx is
> changed).

Can you disable zerocopy in bridge.c to see if the problem goes away? This
would be an useful information.

> Let's say the NIC tx ring has 4096 slots. The customized packet sequence
> 16 is filled in the buffer of slot 2057.
> The customized packets keep filling the slots until the next available
> slot is 2056.

Do you mean that your program fills the TX ring slots 2057,2058...2054,2055
with custom packets? This would mean you filled all the available slots,
since one slot is left empty.

> Now the customised packet sequence 4111 is filled to 2056.

You cannot fill the slot 2056 if 2055 has not been NIOCTXYSINC'd. Aren't
you using nm_ring_empty() and nm_ring_space() functions to check
for available space in TX ring (assuming you update rinig->head/ring->cur
before calling those functions)?

Cheers,
  Vincenzo

--