Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2015 22:35:44 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-pf@freebsd org" <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Controlling P2P with PF

On 20 January 2015 at 07:14, Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
wrote:

> On 1/19/2015 8:06 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> So I found this link while trying to figure out of PF can control P2P -
>> ttp://www.benhup.com/?mf=freebsd&sf=freebsd8.2-p9_04_peerblock
>>
>> I tried using it, but I could still download using utorrent from my
>> network.
>>
>> Does this mean I am beating a dead horse, or I have my filter rules in bad
>> order or something I am missing?
>>

> Yes, you're beating a dead horse.  A torrent client will use any open port
> it can get, and the stuff you really do want to stop runs the torrent over
> SSL (i.e., you can't tell it apart from HTTPS traffic). All you can do is
> rate-limit the bandwidth hogs, then deal with people upset about poor
> streaming video performance.

Hi Darren,

Thanks.

Looking at my pf.conf, is there something you see wrong if squid and PF are
on the same machine (gateway)?

I am having weird issues with squid complaining that it detects loops. I am
running it in intercept/transparent mode.

PS: Was IPFilter removed from FreeBSD-10.1 ?

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,