Date:      Tue, 2 Aug 2016 14:04:56 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Michel Kohanim <michel@universal-devices.com>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Paid Support for iMX6 Port

Hi Michel,

I have an on-going interest in the iMX6 family as well. There is a
developer who is very experienced and knowledgeable on the platform
and may choose to chime in, but here are my notes (in-line).

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 9:20 AM, Michel Kohanim
<michel@universal-devices.com> wrote:
> Hello Dear FreeBSD ARM team,
>
> We are in the process of migrating our embedded hardware/OS platform and =
have decided to go with iMX6 and FreeBSD (we currently have our own real ti=
me operating system). Due to the shortage of time on our side and ever comp=
lexity and instability of getting crochet to do what we need, I would like =
to know whether or not you accept contributions or other types of remunerat=
ions to help us with this endeavor. What we need:

> 1.       Minimalistic kernel and build tools/cross compiler
I can send you my build notes in the next couple of days. I am
building and running a Solid-Run based iMX6 hummingboard (mostly from
wiki.freebsd.org/arm though). Do you have a specific SOM you are
looking at supporting? The standard src package and tool-chain
supports iMX6 and specifically Wandboard and Solid-Run SOMs.

> 2.       Use Libressl instead of OpenSSL
Never done it myself but very keen to see it implemented:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/LibreSSL. Stubborn support for openssl still
boggles my mind.

> 3.       Support for the onboard I2C RTC
I do not know the state of this

> 4.       Support for SDIO and especially onboard WiFi and Bluetooth on th=
e Quad
SDIO is not currently supported by FreeBSD (so none of the bluetooth
or NFC or SDIO wifi work), but there is a patch currently in the code
review system for basic SDIO access via the CAM bus system.
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D4761. This is experimental at best.  A
shame, lots of new low cost connectivity is starting to use this
standard.

> 5.       Support for booting from NAND flash or eMMC
No, there is no support at this time. There is basic NAND support on
one of the chips, but it has proven to be too deficient to be of much
use (single bit parity, no use of hardware ECC and other major
deficiencies).

> 6.       Enabling support for hardware cryptography
I do not know the state of this

Another one you have missed is support for SATA. It is not currently
supported on iMX6 (although an all-winner bannana-pi has experimental
support). Also, my Broadcom PCIe wireless card is not being recognized
by FreeBSD on Arm, but was recognized when running PC-BSD on an Intel
machine.

I would love to see any of these items pushed forward, especially SATA
as I have had to start using Debian for my prototype platform due to
missing FreeBSD SATA support.

Cheers,

Russ