Date:      Wed, 26 Oct 2016 09:28:28 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Koz Ross <koz.ross@retro-freedom.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BeagleBone Black - what still needs to be done for audio?

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 2:14 AM, Koz Ross <koz.ross@retro-freedom.nz> wrote:
> I've been meaning to get into both ARM and BSD for a while, so I decided I
> would begin with FreeBSD and a BeagleBone Black I have lying around. I read
> this page: https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/BeagleBoneBlack , which
> states
> that audio on the BBB 'still needs to be done'.
>
> I was wondering what it means by 'still needs to be done', and what
> precisely
> needs to be done to have working BBB audio. As I am very new to both ARM and
> BSD, could someone please fill me in? I would like to contribute if I can.

That page is a little out of date, but I don't have a recent image for
my BBB. Have you tried running the latest image? If I remember
correctly:

https://www.freebsd.org/where.html -> download the sd card image.

xzcat <download-dir>/FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-arm-armv6-BEAGLEBONE.img.xz
| dd of=/dev/da<yer-sd-card> bs=1m (or is it bs=1M?)

The FreeBSD handbook is the place to start at. It will give you
directions on how to get your image set up:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Once you're able to setup and test HDMI and have a running image,
you'll be in a better position to start looking at audio issues.

Do you know anything about the BBB hardware? You'll need to find out
what the audio interface is and if the FreeBSD kernel supports it.
Then you need to find out if it's in the default kernel, if not,
you'll need to learn to build the kernel yourself (or build the module
and install and load it). Building the kernel requires learning how to
cross compile on a faster host machine. Updating kernels on sd cards
can be a pain (which you will be doing a lot of if you are testing
driver changes), so you will want to be able to network boot.
generalized documentation for Arm development is here:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/crossbuild

That should keep you busy for a bit? :D

Have fun, I know I do.

Russ