Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2016 11:08:05 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Mathieu Prevot <mathieu.prevot@gmail.com>
Cc:        romain@freebsd.org, Freebsd-mono <freebsd-mono@freebsd.org>,  Ivan Radovanovic <radovanovic@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: maintaining ports and mono

Hi Mathieu,

I have expressed interest in helping maintain mono on FreeBSD but have
moved away due to lack of interest and support. Currently someone has
ported more recent versions of Mono (Romain I think?), but MonoDevelop
is somewhat out of date. I had patches to build MonoDevelop with
Rolsyn but couldn't get the MonoDevelop github repos to work with
FreeBSD ports so I gave up after multiple requests for help on both
this mailing list and the FreeBSD forum.

Other .Net things I'd like to see:
- Ivan had some patches for kqueue issues, he passed them on to me but
again, I have moved away from .net on FreeBSD
- I would like to see a port of Pinta on FreeBSD
(https://pinta-project.com/pintaproject/pinta/) because gimp makes me
want to throw my computer
- I once built and ran .Net Core and would like to see if that has
progressed, perhaps put together a FreeBSD port for it. The ultimate
goal in my mind is to update MonoDevelop to use .net Core
- Porting and testing asp.net and MVC to FreeBSD
- Testing the latest mono on FreeBSD CURRENT for ARM

I had also at one point seen a possible business model helping clients
get their .net software off of Windows to save $$$ and create
resalable appliances, but that idea died on the vine.

Ultimately, there are so many development options on FreeBSD, I moved
to something that was better supported (lua), but I really really miss
that big beautiful framework. I guess there's always Java, or Python,
or Ruby... :(

Cheers,

Russ