Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2017 19:53:25 -1000
From:      Kent Kuriyama <kent.kuriyama@gmail.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Another 11.1-RELEASE install minor annoyance (ntpd)

What is happening is that your system clock is so far off that ntpd starts
up and then shutdown because the time delta is too great.

I just enable ntpdate.  In /etc/rc.conf I have the lines:

ntpdate_enable="YES"
ntpdate_flags="-b"     # Causes ntpdate to step the time regardless of delta

Reboot the system, this should fix your problem.

Kent