Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2017 07:56:59 +1000
From:      Jason Tubnor <jason@tubnor.net>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openbsd 6.0 or 6.1 guest on freebsd-12 (current) host

On 6 September 2017 at 03:21, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:

> I'd like to run openbsd 6.0 or 6.1 guest under a 12-current bhyve
> system. I'd like it to run two cpus, so to use the openbsd smp kernel. I
> can see, from searching various mailing lists that there have been
> issues in getting openbsd to boot. Have these issues been fixed?

I'm not sure of the exact issue you are referring to but I run a lot of
OpenBSD 6.1 hosts under bhyve with GENERIC.MP.  You can use either the
grub-bhyve style boot or UEFI, both work fine.

I have found the chyves framework (it is in packages) good for standing up
and managing bhyve guests - with ZFS, especially for a team that are new to
the platform.  You have to hack the following /usr/local/lib/chyves files:

chyves-guest-start
chyves-properties
chyves-resources

to get 6.1 to install and boot (I yet to push those patches upstream).

So to answer your question directly, there is currently no known issue in
getting bhyve to run OpenBSD 6.1 on Intel or AMD platforms.  Enjoy!

Cheers,

Jason.