Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 2020 08:59:14 +1100
From:      Jason Tubnor <jason@tubnor.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard@userve.net>,  "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bhyve issues on Dell C6220 node

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 at 08:37, Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
wrote:

> > /boot/kernel/kernel text=0x168fdf1 data=0x1d0a68+0x768d80
> syms=[0x8+0x178bc0+0x8+0x1969d5]
> > can't find '/boot/entropy'
> > /
> > "
> >
> > I get either a "|" or "/" character, then nothing else.
>
> My experience has been when I see this it is a "wrong console" issue, ie
> the kernel
> has decided to use something else for a console and your output is going
> there.
>
> It might be your setup using a UEFI with a fb console up to the end of the
> loader,
> then the kernel decides it is using a serial console.  Or vice versa.

Rod is correct.  I came across this issue in 12.0 and probably is also in
11.3 by now.  See here:  https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve/UEFI for some tips
that may help you work out where your console is redirecting.

I use UEFI for all guest operating systems with a custom UEFI loader that
has been fixed to handle OpenBSD (as you know :-) ).

> > I've also tested a windows server 2016 guest, and while that will
> actually install via UEFI, it is noticeably slow - over a minute to boot to
> the login screen and everything crawls along

2016 is slow (even slower doing windows updates).  2019 is much better.  A
tip I have found is a minimum of 1 cpu, 2 cores and 4 threads to get decent
speed from that OS (more CPUs in bhyve tends to make performance worse - in
my observations - in 2016).  Also, use the Virtio collection from RedHat
for vionet and viostor.  We are currently using 0.1.171 without issue.  The
ahci emulation in itself is extremely slow.  NVMe and virtio is really the
only way to go.