Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 2020 14:28:12 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Subject:   Re: 12.1p7 no longer boots after doing zpool upgrade -a

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 1:44 PM Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 08:29:03PM +0200, Guido van Rooij wrote:

> > > This method of updating the ESP is no longer recommended for new 12.x
> > > installations -- we now more carefully construct the ESP with an
> > > /EFI/FreeBSD/loader.efi where loader.efi is /boot/loader.efi. You will
> > > want to rebuild this as such, and that may fix part of your problem.
> >
> > Hi Kyle,
> >
> > Thnaks for your asnwer. I have not got it to work with that
> > configuration. What did work was to replace the  /efi/boot/BOOTx64.efi
> > with loader.efi and and change the content of startup.nsh with
> > loader.efi. Withoyt the above answer I wouldn't have figure it out
> > that quickly so thanks!
> >
> > I will investigate further once I have more time (early next week probably).
>
> There was one question I forgot to ask:
> Could I have known that my method of updating the ESP was not correct?
> If so, where is this documented?

It is probably unlikely, to be honest. I don't know that we do a good
job of advising people/documenting how to update the ESP. In fact, I
have no idea where any of it's documented except the wiki:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/UEFI

>From your previous e-mail:

> I did not set this sysctl so most likely that was the cause. As the system
> is up and running again I didn't test it.
> Let me know if you want me to.

It's working now, so I wouldn't bother- this is probably the most
likely cause, the pool's demonstrably intact based on your latest
report.

Thanks,

Kyel EVans