Date:      Wed, 2 Nov 2022 10:21:47 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD Security Team <secteam@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 12.3 EOL warning?

On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 3:15 AM Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org> wrote:

> Patching a 12.3 system to deal with the latest security advisory I got
>
> WARNING: FreeBSD 12.3-RELEASE-p6 is approaching its End-of-Life date.
> It is strongly recommended that you upgrade to a newer
> release within the next 2 months.
>
> However, looking at the support lifecycle page I see 12.4 EOL still is
> "12.4-RELEASE + 3 months" and the 12.4 schedule says it won't be out
> until next month which would make 12.3 EOL March 2023.
>
> Any idea what's going on here?

freebsd-update metadata includes the EoL date, which we don't
typically know when a release is cut since it depends on an
undetermined schedule for the next release. I asked secteam@ a while
back if we could just specify the end of branch as the EoL for new
releases until re@ confirms a schedule to tune that back with (which
makes sense, since it *will* be the end of the branch if all of re@
decides that a nice prolonged beach vacation sounds more fun). I don't
know that that went anywhere, but we really need to do something to
avoid this kind of question coming up because we get it wrong more
often than not. CC secteam@.