Date:      Sun, 7 Jun 2020 09:50:55 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Not getting expected 3-way merge

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 5:14 AM Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org> wrote:

> I just had a somewhat amusing time updating my CURRENT pkgbase VM.
>
> pkg(8) managed to blow away my /etc/master.passwd and /etc/group,
> replacing them with default versions.  I believe this was triggered by
> the introduction of the new 'test' user and group upstream.  Luckily I
> noticed pretty quickly and could manually merge with the copies from
> /var/backup, before I did anything like trying to reboot. That would
> have got me locked out of the system.
>
> Now, `pkg info -R FreeBSD-runtime-13.0.s20200607031954` lists both of
> those files under the `config` section -- so presumably, pkg(8) should
> do a 3-way merge?  Is there something I'm missing here?  This seems too
> obvious a bug not to have been squashed already.

Hmm, I think pkg executed the merge successfully when the test user
was introduced here. Do you still have the transcript from this
upgrade available to make sure that it didn't deinstall -runtime due
to a conflict before reinstalling it?

I spoke with bapt and manu about this a week or two ago when I used
WITHOUT_SENDMAIL=yes and hit a conflict on /etc/mail/mailer.conf,
because that's not really ideal from a user perspective.

> I also find that /etc/mail/aliases keeps getting overwritten -- but that
> file is not listed in the `config` section in the FreeBSD-runtime
> manifest, which I think it probably should be.

Yeah, I noticed that when I was fixing the mailer.conf conflict...
^/usr.sbin/mailwrapper handles mailer.conf as a FILES (it never got
converted to CONFS) while dmagent handles it as CONFS, and the
^/etc/Makefile installation of aliases does a straight install with
just a package tag of aliases along with the various
.sample/Makefile/README. aliases should be split out.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans