Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2012 15:54:42 -0800
From:      Juli Mallett <juli@clockworksquid.com>
To:        "freebsd-mips@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   CACHE_LINE_SIZE macro.

Fellow FreeBSD/MIPSists,

CACHE_LINE_SIZE is being used increasingly-much in ways which may have ABI
implications, etc.  It is currentyl 2^6, whereas at least the Cavium Octeon
has cache lines that are actually 2^7 bytes in size.  It would be nice to
expose the correct value to reduce false line sharing, etc., but making it
dependent on the CPU type raises ABI issues, as well as questions about how
to reliably get the right value to userland.  It seems to me that
increasing it to 2^7 is the most viable approach, but I can imagine there
might be some concerns about that, so I wanted to run it past this list
first.  Questions, comments, concerns?  Are there MIPS CPUs with 2^8-byte
or larger cache lines that we support or will support or which are likely
coming over the horizon?

Thanks,
Juli.