Date:      Sun, 6 Nov 2022 09:43:23 +0100
From:      Michael Schuster <michaelsprivate@gmail.com>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Zfs Guide

--0000000000007a97e705ecc94da7

On Sat, Nov 5, 2022, 22:01 Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 12:15:06 -0700
> Joe B <jb1277976@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So when i installed freeBSD about 5 days ago i noticed that it auto did
> > ZFS pool and everything didn't know why but i went with it. Trying to
> > understand it i looked online for some guides and the zfs fs seems very
> > intresting, snapshots, compression everything. It seems that it was
> > really made for two drives not one. i kinda understand if my internal
> > hdd goes out then i would have a backup.
>
>         Two drives is a minimum for ZFS to be really useful, it does work
> fine on a single drive and it has benefits over many other filesystems even
> without redundancy but it is the integration of redundancy and error
> handling into the filesystem that makes ZFS special.

Let me repeat what was written recently (by David Cottlehuber, IIRC):
ZFS-based boot environments work fine on a single disk and (IMO) justify
using ZFS all by themselves. I wouldn't want to be without them.

Regards
Michael

--0000000000007a97e705ecc94da7

s=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Nov 5, 2022, 22:01 Steve O&#39;Hara-Smith &lt;<a h=
ref=3D"mailto:steve@sohara.org" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">steve@=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On Sat, =
5 Nov 2022 12:15:06 -0700<br>
Joe B &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jb1277976@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">jb1277976@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; So when i installed freeBSD about 5 days ago i noticed that it auto di=
d<br>
&gt; ZFS pool and everything didn&#39;t know why but i went with it. Trying=
 to<br>
&gt; understand it i looked online for some guides and the zfs fs seems ver=
y<br>
&gt; intresting, snapshots, compression everything. It seems that it was<br=

&gt; really made for two drives not one. i kinda understand if my internal<=
br>
&gt; hdd goes out then i would have a backup. <br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Two drives is a minimum for ZFS to be really us=
eful, it does work<br>
fine on a single drive and it has benefits over many other filesystems even=
without redundancy but it is the integration of redundancy and error<br>
written recently (by David Cottlehuber, IIRC): ZFS-based boot environments =
work fine on a single disk and (IMO) justify using ZFS all by themselves. I=
v></div>

--0000000000007a97e705ecc94da7--