Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:55:32 -0700
From:      Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading from 6.2-RELEASE?

I have gotten custody of an old machine running the aforementioned,
and it's in production. I can take it down for a couple of hours if
necessary, but would prefer to have it down as little as possible.

What are my options for getting it to a supported release - looking at
the handbook it doesn't appear the the freebsd-update utility will
work in this case, as it's not 6.3? Can I, for instance, boot from a
CD of a supported version and do an upgrade, or am I stuck doing a
download of sorce for 7.0-RELEASE, compiling that, and then an
freebsd-update to 7.4?

Thanks,

Kurt