Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2018 21:11:54 -0700
From:      christian russell <christian.baltini@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Current state of Intel XL710 40G NIC ixl performance

I am having trouble getting an Intel XL710-DA2 NIC to get even close to
line rate.  It is a 4x10 Gbps card.  The box is running FreeBSD 11 (FreeNAS
in particular).

We have tried both 1.7 and 1.9 driver revisions with similar results.  The
NVM version is 5.05.  The card is in a confirmed 8x slot on a SuperMicro
X10DRL-i with two Xeon E5-2600 processors and 256 GB DDR4 RAM.  After
upping the interrupt threshold to 9000 dmesg doesn't log anything unusual.

We have added the tunes that are standard for 10 Gbps configurations.

On a single-client basis the fastest rates we see are around 5 Gbps.
Hitting this server from multiple boxes we see peaks of 20 Gbps at the very
highest.  More frequently things top off around 13 Gbps.  These numbers are
coming from iperf tests.  We are seeing similar numbers with direct
point-to-point as well as switched topologies.

These threads from 2015 describe similar issues but fizzled out:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2015-May/042273.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2015-October/043584.html

Is there very particular tuning required to get these cards working at
proper speed?  Any insights?

>From Googling around it appears frustration with this card and FreeBSD is
pretty common.

Thanks in advance.