Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2023 12:43:27 +0100
From:      Sergio Carlavilla <carlavilla@freebsd.org>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ykla <yklaxds@gmail.com>, "freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: To be deprecated [.filename]## tag in the document?

On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 at 12:31, Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 11:36:05AM +0100, Sergio Carlavilla wrote:
> > El jue., 26 ene. 2023 8:21, ykla <yklaxds@gmail.com> escribi=C3=B3:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I see that in some sections the [.filename]# # tags have been replace=
> > > with ` `, which does not effectively distinguish between folders, dev=
ice
> > > symbols and specific commands, etc.
> > >
> > >  Are there any plans for FreeBSD to do this across the board in the
> > > future? I.e., do we need to do away with the [.filename]# # tag?
> > >
> > > ykla
> > > .
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Yes, the idea is to remove the [.filename]## tag and use ``
> >
> > This is from the migration of Docbook to AsciiDoc.
>
> But, why?
>
> This feels like a regression, docbook allowed us to mark things up
> semantically, like, we would know what was a variable, a filename, a
> code block... The idea was to be able to differentiate things, and let
> the rendering do the right thing.
> If I see [.filename]#PKG# I clearly see it refers to a filename, they
> used to be rendered as fixed with, in some color, so that they could be
> differentiated from other fixed width stuff.
> If I see `PKG` I just see something that will be rendered with a fixed
> with font, but I have no idea what it refers to.
>
> --
> Mathieu Arnold

Hi,

> This feels like a regression, docbook allowed us to mark things up
> semantically,

Yes, but this is in Docbook, not in AsciiDoc.

For AsciiDoc the syntax [.whatever]## is to declare a class for the CSS par=
ser.
The result in the HTML, PDF and EPUB will be the same.
Using [.whatever]## or ``.

Personally, for me it is easier to read/write `` instead of the other optio=
n.
But not only in AsciiDoc, algo in Github MD, Gitlab MD, etc.

But of course, this is my personal opinion, if you think is better to
use the old syntax, please send an email to doceng@
Of course, this kind of changes must be decided by the entire Doceng@
not only a member of them.

If you see some changes in the Handbook right now it is because as I
said, it is easier to read/write the other option for me.

Bye and hope this explanation works.
Sorry for the shortness, I'm at my work at I cannot explain this better heh=