Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2013 19:24:12 -0400
From:      "Christopher J. Umina" <chris@uminac.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk, freebsd-fortran@freebsd.org

Fortran is pretty much a standard in the scientific world and I for
one have been quite upset about the fact that I'm constantly forced
away from FreeBSD for such things. Needless to say I was quite
surprised that a list was created specifically for Fortran discussion,
but I'm also very excited to see the level of interest in the
community.

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Steve Kargl
<sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 05:42:45PM +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>> Steve, you beat me to post the first message...
>
> Well, I scan the email archives every few days, and I
> was surprised to see a Fortran specific list.
>
>> I suggested this list in:
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2013-June/022145.html
>>
>> In addition to the reasons in that post,
>> here's one more: this list might
>> be a better maintainer than ports@ for
>> several fortran related ports.
>>

> The few ports that I use, which need Fortran, seem to just
> work.  This is probably due to the backwards compatibility
> of Fortran 2008 with F2003, F95, F90, and F77.  OpenMPI is
> the only Fortran code that I routinely build outside of the
> ports.
>
> --
> Steve

Christopher J. Umina