Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2020 09:19:20 -0500
From:      Josh Aas <josh@kflag.net>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   updating cron and atrun

I was looking for a way to contribute to FreeBSD and I decided to look
into the cron/atrun project listed on this page:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#Improve_cron.288.29_and_atrun.288.29

I looked into the current code, commits from the past decade, and the
lineage of other versions of cron to see if there is a reasonable plan
for updating FreeBSD=E2=80=99s cron based on another version. It doesn't se=
em
like there are any particularly productive new path to take here. ISC
cron is old and unmaintained, and I don=E2=80=99t think NetBSD or OpenBSD c=
ron
is interesting enough to be worth entirely rebasing on. On top of
that, FreeBSD cron seems to have some FreeBSD-specific functionality
that we=E2=80=99d still need to maintain or =E2=80=9Cupstream=E2=80=9D else=
where.

I=E2=80=99d recommend continuing with the current status quo - keep FreeBSD=
=E2=80=99s
version of cron and occasionally pull in security/stability patches as
applicable from OpenBSD or NetBSD. The other options are a lot of work
for little (if any) gain. Happy to hear other opinions though.

Integrating atrun into cron might be nice but isn=E2=80=99t very interestin=
IMO. Seems very possible that the cost of that churn outweighs the
benefit. I=E2=80=99d love to hear more about why this is a particularly goo=
idea if people believe it is. Maybe I=E2=80=99m missing something.

If people agree I=E2=80=99d recommend removing the cron and atrun suggestio=
on the Ideas Page. Maintaining that page seems like a pain though,
might I recommend keeping track of these ideas as bugzilla bugs,
tagged with something like =E2=80=9Cideaslist=E2=80=9D? Then you can just l=
ink to that
search.

--=20
Josh Aas