Date:      Tue, 29 May 2018 23:42:47 +0300
From:      Gleb Popov <arrowd@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Rationale for setting COMMLEN to 19 in struct kinfo_proc

Hello.

I've been debugging a failing Qt (KDE, to be precise) test and found that
process name returned in kinfo_proc structure gets truncated to 19 symbols.
This causes other errors in the application. I'm wondering why is this
field so small and is there possibility to increase it? I think, having
applications with names longer than 19 characters is not that rare.

Relevant header: /usr/include/sys/user.h

Simple testcase to feature the problem:

# cat k.cpp
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>

#include <sys/cdefs.h>
#include <sys/param.h>
#include <sys/sysctl.h>
#include <sys/user.h>

int main()
{
    auto pid = getpid();
    struct kinfo_proc kp;
    int mib[4] = { CTL_KERN, KERN_PROC, KERN_PROC_PID, (int)pid };

    size_t len = sizeof(kp);
    u_int mib_len = sizeof(mib)/sizeof(u_int);

    if (sysctl(mib, mib_len, &kp, &len, NULL, 0) < 0)
        return -1;

    puts(kp.ki_tdname);
    puts(kp.ki_comm);

    return 0;