Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2012 21:32:26 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>, Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What driver should I use for 'intel centrino wireless-N 2200 BGN' ?

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Denise H. G. <darcsis@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012/10/09 at 00:44, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Man page for iwi says
>>> The iwi driver provides support for Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG/2915ABG
>>>
>>> Do you have legal.intel_iwi.license_ack=1  in loader.conf ?
>>>
>>> Perhaps you need to check if the device id is listed in the source code?
>>
>> Yes. Some vendors (e.g. Lenovo, HP) have private PCIIDs on their
>> cards, so they may not be in the source. Adding them is trivial, but,
>> should this be the issue, please open a PR to have it added to the
>> source in SVN.
>
> I tried to add some device ids into the source code of the drivers, but
> with no luck. Maybe I am doing it the wrong way.

The card ID in the code is 4220 and yours has is 4222. Edit
/sys/dev/iwi/if_iwi.c and add:
        { 0x8086, 0x4222, "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG" },
 after line 123.

If you are loading the module, you can just rebuild that. Otherwise
you will need to rebuild the kernel. If you are not familiar with
building a module, rebuilding the whole thing, kernel and modules, is
probably the best idea.

Note that I don't currently have any 2200BG card, so I have not done
any testing. I looked at the pci.ids file and it does not seem to have
an entry for 0x4220, but does have one for 0x4222, so I am a bit
confused, but the pci.ids file is not relevant to the driver. It's
just an oddity.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com