Date:      Sun, 12 Feb 2017 16:18:53 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xf86-input-joystick-1.6.2_4 not working

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My son wants to play games/flightgear on his FreeBSD laptop and I have
> installed him a joystick THRUSTMASTER T-FLIGHT STICK X. The used software
> stack is:
>
> FreeBSD CURRENT r292778-amd64
> Xorg 7.7.2 ...
> uhidd-0.2.1_3
> xf86-input-joystick-1.6.2_4.
> all compiled from ports.
>
> [...]

> In general, the port of xf86-input-joystick-1.6.2_4 is not well adopted
> to FreeBSD, at least not its man page, which says: ...
>
>  The evdev(4) driver will suffice for those in most cases.
>
> Do we have any evdev(4) driver in FreeBSD?

/usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-input/evdev
You can install int directly or go to x11-drivers and do a "make config"
and select it. (I suggest the latter.)

If you are using packages, then install hte package.

> Anyway, how could I bring this to work?
>
> Should I file a PR about this?

Does not hurt, but it's now a bit of an orphan as the developers are
expecting evdev  to be the way forward and probably not doing much with the
joystick or other input drivers that evdev handles. (N.B. I ave no
joystick, so I have not actual experience with it.

E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com