Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 2020 12:38:25 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd@daemonic.se>
Subject:   Re: drm-i915kms + x11-intel eats out all of the ram and swap but not with x11-scfb

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 5:15 AM Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd@daemonic.se>
wrote:

> On 2020-04-14 13:57, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
> > Hello world :-)
> >
> > I have noticed some bad thing with the X11 Intel driver (12.1-RELEASE
> > AMD64 with latest intel driver from 2018???) - it eats out all of the
> > RAM, then it eats all of the SWAP, then system gets unusable for
> > anything except hard reset :-( This happens when it works together
> > with latest DRM i915KMS. On hard computer use that means workstation
> > gets useless in around 15 minutes. Closing applications does not free
> > the memory resources, once it get some some it never returns.
>
> Which driver are you talking about? xf86-video-intel or drm-fbsd12.0-kmod?
>

> > I have set the UXA as the default for i5-5300U CPU.
> >
> > On the other hand the DRM i915kms works fine with SCFB on the same
> > load and hardware. I am working on DRM + i915kms + SCFB so far.
>
> If you are using SCFB, you are not using i915kms.
>

> > This is why I suspect problem with X11-INTEL driver? Maybe it does not
> > like latest Xorg changes?
> >
> > I also sometimes get this DRM warning on the dmesg:
> > [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less
> > power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory
> > size if available in BIOS.
>
> This is unrelated to this issue.
>
> Have you tried using the modesetting xorg driver instead?
> Regards
> --
> Niclas

A day or two ago I saw a post to this list stating that modesetting was not
interesting because it did not support 3-D acceleration. At least on my
Sandy Bridge system running the latest available software for FreeBSD
12-STABLE, 3-D acceleration works just fine. This assumes the most recently
committed mesa, server, drm-fbsd12.0-kmod, etc. It may be that modesetting
does not provide 3-D on other platforms, but that is not the norm, I
suspect. If it does normally work, a clear statement to that effect would
be a "good  thing", though, other than this mailing list, I have no idea
where to find current status and no idea where else users would look.

If it is not going to be maintained, please take down the graphics wiki
page! It list supporting evdev as "Not started" and everything on it seems
over a year old. I'm tempted to volunteer to try to update it myself, but I
am hardly the best informed. I only discovered the modesetting driver as an
option for Intel GPUs when I had serious issues and someone (Jan) suggested
I try it.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com