Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2017 21:17:08 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports still broken by ino64? <CAN6yY1uQ6w2CkdM6M2wkOiYQd5-X6HqAsVph7RYCnTKn2mXQeA@mail.gmail.com>

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 8:19 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com>
> wrote:
>
> > > I remember some ports on FreeBSD-current were rendered nonbuildable by
> the
> > > introduction of 64-bit inodes (ino64).
>
> > > What is the progress on resolving those snags?
>
> > > I haven't heard anything recently and was unable to find anything on
> > > wiki.freebsd.org.
>
> > > So how do I know the current status?
>
> > > I am particularly concerned with gcc5-aux and gcc6-aux which should be
> of
> > > concern because ports-mgmt/synth requires gcc6-aux as a dependency.
>
> > > There was never a BROKEN in any of these ports' Makefile.
>
> > Tom
>

> > IIRC, there was no general issue with building ports, though a few may
> have
> > needed a fix. It was that packages built after the change were not
> > available and older binaries would not work. I believe that the issue
> went
> > away as soon as a new package build was completed. This took longer than
> > usual as ALL packages had to be re-built, not just those which had been
> > updated since the last build.
>
> > Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
>
> So I guess I could update my FreeBSD-current installation, building from
> 11-stable host, and try again to build synth?
>
> But all the dependencies that build successfully and installed before the
> system crash would have to be rebuilt from the start.
>
> It will take some time before I get to it, with an 11.1-BETA2 installation
> being built up and some NetBSD installations being updated (not easy,
> problems are such as to dissuade me from tryimg to use pkgsrc on FreeBSD).
>
> I know that any old FreeBSD-current installation from January 2016 or
> August 2015 must not be touched lest all or nearly all packages be rendered
> nonfunctional due to shared libraries out of sync, not to mention ino64.
>
> Upgrade after FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE/BETA2 installation is built up and ready
> to take over.
>
> One thing that might put rebuilding FreeBSD-current to a higher priority
> would be an update to
> $SRC_BASE/sys/dev/re/if_re.c
>
> Tom

Maybe not, but I think so. synth(8) requires the ada compiler which means
lang/gcc6-aux or lang/gcc5-aux and those DID require work to install on
ino64. I believe that this is now resolved, but I would seriously consider
simply installing synth from the package. It has no run or lib depends, so
installing the package is risk-free.

synth is the only package I install on my development system,though I do
consider installing chromium and libreoffice from packages now and then...
like every time I have to rebuild either. (libreoffice is awaiting for a
rebuild right now. Maybe tomorrow. I built Chromium yesterday.)
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com