Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2012 15:32:09 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multimedia/linux-realplayer port marked as BROKEN

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM, RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 18:01:56 +0100
> Chris Rees wrote:
>
>> On 29 June 2012 17:58, RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> > The Makefile could print out instructions for obtaining the
>> > restricted file and set IGNORE if it isn't present. I think that's
>> > what the JDK ports used to do.
>>
>> No, there's a difference. =C2=A0We can't instruct a user to obtain a
>> distfile in a way that is explicitly forbidden by the licence.
>
> What's explicitly forbidden? =C2=A0The distribution licence forbids hosti=
ng
> the files, but there's nothing that says you can't tell people that
> realplayer can be obtained from real.com and offer an alternative
> installer to rpm - which is all the port would be.

Sounds about the same as the jdk ports where you had to get the
distros from Sun (and now Oracle) after agreeing to their terms. the
port checked for the disto and, if it was not found, provided
instructions to legally obtain it. We don't do ports for warez, but I
can't see that telling peoplewhereto get it legally is any issue.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com